Wednesday, September 4, 2013

An Interdependent Journey

Think about it!

Think back to your life map. Who has played a role that helped you get to where you are today? What role have you played?



Four Paths of Relating to Others


1) When I believe, I can’t achieve my goals by myself, I choose dependence.
2) When I believe, I have to help other people get their goals before I can pursue my own goals, I choose codependence.
3) When I believe, By working hard, I can get some of what I want all by myself, I choose independence.
4) When I believe, I know I can get some of what I want by working alone, but I’ll accomplish more and have more fun if I give and receive help, I choose interdependence.


Write about it!
1) Which path do you follow most often right now?
2) Which one will help you the most as you move forward in your life journey?
3) Who is in your interdependent circle?




Create it!
1) Design a personal mission statement to encourage you along your life journey! Write it colorfully on the index card, give it to me to copy, and then put it in the front of your binder.

Other mission statement examples:
“To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete in the world. (If you have a body, you are an athlete.).”-Nike 
“Protecting the environmental rights of all people, including the right to clean air, clean water, healthy food, and flourishing ecosystems. Guided by science, we work to create practical solutions that win lasting economic and social support because they are nonpartisan, cost-effective, and fair." 
-Environmental Defense Fund
“To advocate for education professionals and to our members and the nation to fulfill the promise of public education to prepare every student to succeed in a diverse and interdependent world.” 
-National Education Association
“To advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and to expand their opportunities to reach their full potential.”-UNICEF



2) Choose one of the quotes below that can be a personal mantra (something you can repeat to yourself) as a reminder to be interdependent on your life journey.
a) Make a bookmark with this quote on one side.
b) Describe why you chose this quote on the other side.


“No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.” -John Donne 
“We are all interdependent. Do things for others - tribe, family, community - rather than just for yourself.” -Chief Wilma Mankiller 
“Don’t be fooled into thinking you are alone on your journey. You’re not. Your struggle is everyone’s struggle. Your pain is everyone’s pain. Your power is everyone’s power. It is simply that we take different paths along our collective journey toward the same destination.” -Benjamin Shield 
“Taking on responsibilities that properly belong to someone else means behaving irresponsibly toward oneself.” -Nathaniel Branden 
“Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.” -Oprah Winfrey
“I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow.” -Woodrow Wilson
“My driving belief is this: great teamwork is the only way to reach our ultimate moments, to create the breakthroughs that define our careers, to fulfill our lives with a sense of lasting significance.” -Pat Riley, basketball coach
"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -Howard Thurman
“If people around you aren’t going anywhere, if their dreams are no bigger than hanging out on the corner, or if they’re dragging you down, get rid of them. Negative people can sap your energy so fast, and they can take your dreams away from you, too.” -Earvin (Magic) Johnson

3) If you have time remaining, make a playlist for your life. What songs motivate and encourage you? What do you listen to when you are in a GREAT mood? A bad mood? If you had to choose one theme song for your life, what would it be? Please write your playlist in your notebook. Briefly tell why you chose each song. 















No comments:

Post a Comment