Today we will create a tool box to empower you to prevent and stop bullying.
Go through this diagram and decide if you are assertive or not. We will return to this.
1) Recognize bullying:
- What is your definition of bullying?
- How do your friends, family, classmates, teachers define bullying?
- What is the intent behind your actions?
- What is the intent behind the action of others?
2) Know who to turn to.
- Blind reports
A great resource can be found here.
4) Be assertive.
- Say what you want/need and say it positively. Be aware of other people's needs.
- I am concerned when I see _____. It makes me feel _____. I request that you _____.
- I feel __________ when you _________ so can you_____________.
Try it out:
Think of a time that you've felt bullied. Briefly describe the situation to a partner. Then, use an "I" statement from above to tell your partner how you are being impacted by their actions. Discuss if you are successfully assertive.