Two weeks ago international delegates met in Switzerland to figure out what could be done in Syria where civil war is tearing the country apart.
Today we will...
...explore the background of the conflict in Syria
....evaluate the effectiveness international law
...propose three changes to international policy
How we'll get there:
1) Skim this annotated article. (7 minutes)
2) Listen to this.(3 minutes)
3) Then, each discuss your role with people with the same role. List talking points on your card. (2 minutes)
- Russian foreign minister, Sergey Lavrov
- Syrian foreign minister, Walid al-Moallem
- US Secretary of State, John Kerry
- Syrian citizen
4) Discuss the questions below as a class. We will switch roles once. Stick closely to the role you are assigned!
- What should be done in Syria?
- Does international law exist? Why or why not?
- Is international law effective? Why or why not?
- What could be done to make international law more effective?
- Can peace really happen?
List 3 things you’d like to see changed about international policies, especially in regards to Syria.
List 2 things you got a lot out of or enjoyed from today's seminar.List 1 thing you’d like to change about how the seminar went.