Thursday, February 20, 2014

Journal Club: The History of Rap

Happy Friday Advisory Fellows '14!

Rapping and Learning!

I was going to try to come up with a rap to kick off the post about rap...but I couldn't take myself seriously whilst trying to create one...SO, I gave up...
"I do derive hope from the metaphor of hip hop. In the '70s, young people in the Bronx came out of a situation that was ripe with inequality. They took their skills and figured out new ways to communicate. It makes me think about the current state of our educational system. There are a lot of young people today still in similar situations. How can we help them be creative and resourceful, take what's there, flip it, and create something better? How can we create the best possible conditions for them to be supported in doing that kind of work? And how can we work in partnership with them rather than in opposition?"
*********************************************
Sports Center: Soccer for good! Play without Injury!

Boys playing football UNICEF UK/South Africa 2008/Andy Brown

***********************************************
Fact Find: Health Focus

No comments:

Post a Comment